Friday, December 9, 2011

RL strikes time for minis : (

Well, I've no progress on any mini projects to report and haven't had a chance to upload any pictures of either my kids' adorable costumes because I have been so extremely swamped with work and RL lately. Mid November I had to fly to Boston for a business trip. I hate flying but it's amazing what a double shot Strawberry Margarita can do for your nerves before take off LOL. My sister-in-law was able to fly out with me and when I was finished with work we had a great time. Not much sight-seeing was done as it wasn't their "season" any more BUT I did get to go to Orchard House and Authors Ridge in the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. I about cried being able to go inside Louisa May Alcott's house. It was absolutely amazing. It also doubled my resolve to build this house in miniature. I even bought a set of simple saltbox dollhouse plans that will work wonderfully for the basic shell with minor alterations.

On a more serious note, I once again injured myself. I tripped over a sub-woofer at my parents' house. Thought I had broken my baby toe and possibly the side of my foot. Right foot AGAIN! So not wanting to be as stupid as last time and walk on a broken foot for 2 1/2 months before getting it fixed I went to the ER the following morning. Figured they'd have to wait for the swelling to go down a bit before they could check it anyways. While there they took an x-ray. From just looking at it they were pretty sure it was broken or dislocated, but amazingly neither was true. However, they did see something "abnormal" on the x-ray and scheduled me for an out-patient MRI to rule out tumor. NOT something I was expecting. The guy did ask if have had any pain in my foot and my immediate reply was no. As I was leaving the ER it struck me that maybe the achy feeling I've had in the area of my old break was what they were looking at. I had actually gone in after the break had healed to see if there was something wrong because at times it would feel like it was broken again, they had told me the break healed fine and there was nothing there and it was probably just sore tissue from the break taking so long to heal. I immediately got the earliest appointment for an MRI and copies of the new x-rays. I popped the CD onto my PC and found a strange circle-like thingy (no other word to describe it) about the size of a nickel smack dab in the center of my foot. I also was able to take a look at the older x-ray I had had taken when I complained about my foot after it healed and the same thing was on that x-ray except it was lighter and slightly smaller. I'm a bit pissed that I've gone this long with something like that and getting pretty much blown off last time. I have high hopes that it will just be scar tissue from the break but it's still frustrating for the other doctor to ignore me like it was all in my head.

Yesterday I had the MRI. Talk about an ordeal for me LOL. I have a horrible irrational fear of needles. Just the word makes my pulse race and my knees weak. I was all set for the MRI, walked into the room with the machine and they start their preliminary questions. After the tech reviews the two conflicting requests from the imaging DR who read the x-ray and the ER DR who I never even saw and figures out what test really needs to be done, he turns and asks "Ok, you all ready for the contrast?" My legs about went out from under me. I was told it would just be a normal non-needle MRI. I was not expecting this. So after some long long breathes to calm down I laid on the table trying not to hyperventilate or cry (big sissy that I am) and closed my eyes. I now believe that having needles sprang upon me is worse then being able to prepare myself for days in advance. Pretty sure I almost passed out, at least I wouldn't have had far to go if I had. As I was laying there he asks how I'm doing and I said I was fine. That was till I opened my eyes and everything had pretty rainbow circles over it and my ears got really warm. Immediately closed my eyes, started my "calm down and go to your happy place" breathing technique. I was extremely lucky that the tech also has a fear of needles, at least when they are being put into him, and he was very good and understanding. After the IV was in the MRI was a breeze. I was never afraid of the machine to begin with. Took about 40 minutes total. And the results should be available today for me to pick up, or I can wait 3-4 business days for my FP doctor to get them, review them and schedule an appointment....hmmm.... which will this impatient patient be doing? LOL.


  1. Wow! Keep us posted on what happens with your foot!!

  2. Hoping everything will turn out alright!