Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Irish Cottage

Here is my Irish one room cottage. The house is from a kit from Greenleaf but I bashed it to make it mine. The fireplace is my precious treasure from Braxton Payne, it makes the room. The floor was made from skinny sticks, and the cupboard is a bashed Michael's hutch. This house has special meaning for me. For my honeymoon my husband and I went to Ireland. I loved the scenery (it was soooo green!) and the cottages were perfect. When we came home I decided to make a one room cottage in memory of our honeymoon.
I used scrapbook paper to make the wallpaper and joint compound as stucco. That was a fun process, very messy, it was like playing with mud. The roof was made from coconut fibers, a much easier process than I was expecting. I am especially proud of that roof. It was my first try and I love how the roof ridge came out.

I'm making curtains for the windows, my door needs handles and an outside step, and I need to trim the base. I plan to make window boxes with flowers but that will be sometime later. Oh and if no one noticed my house would be very smokey I forgot about the chimney when I thatched the roof. I'll have to think on that for awhile to find a solution. That's it for now. See you all later. . .


Well as promised here are a few photos to get started. These ones are 1/144th scale. The first are a few plants that I made the two green ones were from kits from SDK miniatures and were a lot of fun to put together, much easier than I had thought with how tiny they are.

Now here is an English front opening house in 1/144th scale. It was a blast to make and made me want a front opening dollhouse in 1/12th scale which is how I got started on the Gloucester. This was also from a kit and for the life of me I can't remember who made it. I even have another kit from the same place at home waiting to be built, oooohhh, frustrating. Anyhoo. . .

Here is a shot of the inside. It's kind of hard to see but all of the doors have tiny door knobs made from no-hole beads and the staircase is very detailed. This kit was also extra easy to put together. I still need to frame the doors and windows but until then these pics. will have to do. All of the wallpaper came from web printies.


Yeah! My first followerer! How exciting. I still haven't gotten a chance to add my photos but I wanted to give a nice welcome to Susan. She has beautiful things on her blog, I especially like her Mindolton Manor, so go take a look . I promise to get some pictures up tonight. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, June 18, 2009


Well, I've gone ahead and done it. I've created my own blog. I am hoping that this blog will keep me going on my miniatures so I will actually complete some. I am creating this as a record of my mini making, as a place that I can look back on my work and see how far I've come.

I am currently working on a Greenleaf front opening kit called the Gloucester. I consider this my second attempt at miniatures. My very first was a Beacon Hill and I was so inexperienced I gave the house away to someone who I hope will be able to fix/salvage it. I am told it wasn't that bad but the more experience I got the more glaring my mistakes became.

I had inspiration from for adding legs to the bottom of the Gloucester to make it seem more like a piece of furniture. Now I won't have to hunt for a table to put it on. I am working on the floors. Haven't found a way to make the floor boards besides skinny sticks, I really like the effect it just takes forever. Where I live access to supplies are very limited so I use what I can come by. The legs are attached to the baseboard and first floor. The first floor is floored , stained and just waiting for some varnish to be finished. Pictures will be coming soon.

See you all later. . .I'm off to take pictures to share.